3d Printed Transmission Challenge – $1,000
Folks, please consider taking this on, and please help post it on fabrication sites and maker message forums!
We need a 5 speed + Reverse, Automatic or manual transmission that costs a LOT less than what is on the market now. Even a sophisticated modern transmission is less than $200 of materials- but for us to purchase they are well over $2,000.
We need an Open Source plan or an affordable supplier for transmissions that take a standard output and input, and cost less than $1,000 each.
- Must have 5 speeds + Reverse. Automatic or Manual.
- The gear rations should be the same or similar to a 2006+ Honda Civic.
- The transmission must sustain at least 45 ft-lbs of torque through it in any gear. This is very light, meaning it may be possible for the transmission to be 3d printed.
- The transmission must weigh less than 45 lbs.
- Must have an input of a 1/2″ square drive (a power tool standard) and a 4″ ring of 5x 3/8th’s inch holes (similar to how a wheel mounts on a car’s hub) (so we could drive the input with a ratchet).
- Must have an output of a 1/2″ square drive male with a 4″ ring of 5x 3/8ths inch holes (so we could put a socket on the output).
- Must be able to be assembled in less than 1 hour from 3d printed parts (or subtraction rapid prototyping, like a CNC mill/router).
- To win, we must receive a link to a YouTube video showing the transmission meeting the above requirements.
- To win, we must receive a working prototype and the Open Source CAD and code to print more.